Save the Girl Child
“Save the Girl Child” is a social initiative in India to fight against the practice of female foeticide. The initiative also aims are protecting, safeguarding, supporting, and educating the girl child.
Our present Prime Minister has requested every section of the society to give whole-hearted support to the “Beti Bachao, Beti Padhao“ abhiyan (initiative). ‘Beth Bachao’ means ‘save girl child’ and ‘Beth Padhao’ means ‘educate the girl child.’
Poor households, when faced with the choice, often choose to send their male children to school instead of their female children, instead saddling female children with back-breaking household chores.
Female foeticide is both a national problem and a social evil. It’s unbelievable that the urge for a boy-child makes them so cruel that they dare to kill the yet to be born. As such it is crucial to step in and save the female children.
Causes of female foeticide
Various scholars have suggested different possible causes for the problem of female foeticide.
1. Low position of women: Women have been subjected to injustice since ages. Some people feel that the birth of girl child may lower their status in the society. There is an extreme desire for boy-child among some sections of our society.
2. Extreme poverty: People who live in extreme poor condition often think that the girl child would cause more economic hardship to them. The social evil of dowry system further worsens the situation. Some people think that they will to have to arrange for huge dowry for her marriage.
3. Illiteracy: Illiteracy is the leading of all social evils. Illiterate people are ignorant people, and not able to judge their actions in the right perspective.
4. Dowry system: Dowry system refers to the custom of paying money and other valuables to the groom’s family at the time of marriage. This tradition was probably introduced to give financial assistance to the newly wed couple. However, often, it is seen that the greedy family members of the groom’s family demand huge amount of money at the time of marriage. Dowry is viewed as a huge burden by the parents of the girl-child. (Please note that dowry is prohibited by law in India. )
How to save girl child?
1. Women empowerment: The women need to be empowered. A woman has every right to give birth to a baby. The girl child is a blessing of God. Just give her a chance, and she will make you proud with her achievements.
2. Awareness: Every citizen of civilized society should be made aware of the fact that a girl child is as important as a boy child. If she gets the right opportunity, she can provide economic support to the family and help them to come out of poverty level.
3. Education: Education raises the consciousness of a person. The mental pattern in favor of society should be transformed. This is the time for historic changes in the society. (Also read about women education here.)
4. Love, respect, and equality: Girls, just like their counterparts, deserves true freedom and equality. All children, girls and boys equally, deserve to be treated with love and respect. When we truly treat someone with love, we respect their autonomy and help them to achieve the very best that they can.
How to save girl child after her birth?
The girl child is not only unsafe inside her mother’s womb. Even after her birth, she has to face various hardships because of gender inequality. We must save the girl child after her birth as well. There is something that all of us can do to help girls all over the world.
- We all agree that girls’ education is very important. The girls should get a safe and comfortable environment at schools.
- The girl should get equal access to the educational resources of the school.
- There should be separate toilets for girl-children at schools.
- There is need for a shift in mental attitude in favor of equality between boys and girls.
- The belief that only a male-child can support the parents during the old age doesn’t hold true in today’s context. A girl can take care and support her family as well.
- The family members of the girl child should come forward to protect her rights, both within and outside her home.
- We can reach out to girls in our community and help them with their needs.
- The physical abuse and harassment of girl child should be dealt strictly. The guilty should be punished as per the law.
- Dowry stem should be effectively discouraged through media campaigns. Emphasis should be made to impart moral education to put an end to this evil system.
- Doctors and other medical professions should be encouraged to behave responsibly. They should never indulge in any mal-practices such as prenatal sex determination.
- We can promote strong images of powerful, successful girls and women that will serve as role models and help to combat gender based cultural discrimination.
- We can also donate money to schemes that are designed to help girls, or volunteer with charitable organizations overseas.
The ‘save the child girl, educate the girl child’ initiative is actively supported by the Government, corporate groups, human rights activists and NGOS.
Under the initiative of ‘Beti Bachao Beti Padhao’, several social organizations have come forward to build toilet at girl schools.
The corporate India, as part of their Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR), is also earmarking funds for the welfare of school going girls.
Legal status of prenatal sex determination
According to the laws prevailing in India, the determination of prenatal sex during pregnancy is illegal and punishable by law.
It is unfortunate that people still misuse the ultrasonography (diagnostic sonography) scan to determine the sex of the unborn baby. There is a need for:
- Strict enforcement of laws relating to medical scanning.
- Impart moral teachings on doctors.
- Educate people that there is no difference between a girl and a boy child.
Save Girl Child is a phrase that ought to be very important to all of us. We still, sadly, live in a very unequal world where girls and women are discriminated against according to their gender. Girls are at greater risk of gender based violence, and also from gendered threats such as female foeticide, forced marriage, lower pay due to gender based discrimination, child pregnancy, lower education levels due to the undervaluing of female education, sexual harrassment and much more. As such, it is important to take care of girl children and to give them all of the opportunities that they need to succeed in life.
We belong to the modern generation of humanity. We seek an environment where every human-being is considered free. We seek an environment where every unborn child is welcomed without any gender bias.
Mahatma Gandhi gave the slogan of ‘do or die’ to his countrymen for the cause of their motherland. The unborn girl-child is also seeking similar spirit among the countrymen in support of her cause.
Category: Essays, Paragraphs and Articles, Social Issues in IndiaTagged With: Social Issues in India
A Baby Girl… An angel sent by God
Girls are the cornerstone of the house. It is impossible to imagine a imagine a life without a girl. The girl has to live several characters in the society, for instance, they live a life of a daughter, they prove to be very obedient and docile wife, while they become an outstanding sister or a mother. It won’t be wrong saying there are many phases in the life of a girl. But to many, their existence seems to be a big curse prevailing in male-dominating society. They are given the ill-treatment by some filthy and narrow-minded people.
People seem to have forgotten that they are the one to give an heir, a son to the family leading their family to the next generation. In other words, a whole life is dependent on a single girl.
In some states, like Haryana and Rajasthan, there are many women whose baby is aborted in their womb before a girl could come up in the world. They have an indispensable contribution towards taking mushrooming the number of families.
People need to open their eyes to their thinking about the girl being a curse to their family.
Seeing the increasing number of female feticide the Prime Minister has come up with an initiative that is guaranteed to give protection to the girl child. This initiative will safeguard them to the greater extent.
Those who are not in the condition to send their girl to school, the government give privileged to the education. There are some who endorse the school with large efforts and happiness.
Save girl child topic has been the focus of attention of everyone all over the India in order to improve the overall social and economic status of women. Following are some initiatives launched by the central or state government regarding save girl child:
- In order to protect the girl child, a Ladli Scheme was launched and implemented by the Delhi & Haryana Government in 2008. The aim of this scheme was controlling female foeticide as well as improving the status of girl child through education and equal gender rights.
- Sabla Scheme launched by the Ministry of Women and Child Development in 2011 aiming to empower adolescent girls through education.
- Dhanalakshmi Scheme was launched in 2008 by the Ministry of Women and Child Development aiming to provide cash transfer to the family of girl child after birth, registration, and immunization.
- Kishori Shakti Yojna was launched by the Ministry of Women and Child Development aiming to improve nutritional and health condition of adolescent girls.
- Sukanya Samridhi Yojana was launched to ensure equitable share to a girl child by the family.
- Beti Bachao, Beti Padhao (means save girl child and educate girl child) scheme was launched in 2015 for the welfare of women.
Girl Storing is a most important social awareness issue today with regard to saving girls across the country. There are several effective measures in which a girl can be saved to a great extent. There is an enormous level of poverty in society which is the main reason for illiteracy and gender inequality in Indian society. Education is thus an essential element in reducing poverty and gender discrimination and improving the situation of girls and women in Indian society. According to statistics, female literacy is steadily declining in Odisha, where girls do not have equal access to education and other activities.
Education is deeply linked to employment. Poor education means a low level of employment that leads to poverty and gender inequality in society. Education is the most effective way to improve the status of women by making them financially independent. The Government is taking steps to protect girls and boys to ensure equal rights and opportunities for women in society. The Bollywood actor (Parineeti Chopra) was an official ambassador for the brand of the recent PM pattern to save the girl (Beti Bachao, Beti Padhao).
Effective Steps to Save the Girl
Here are the different effective steps for saving girls:
- The position of girls in Indian society has been delayed since ages due to the extreme desire of parents for the child. It created gender inequality in society and was very necessary to suppress when bringing gender equality.
- Extreme poverty in society has created social evil against women as a dowry system that aggravates the situation of women. Parents generally think girls are only spending money, which is why girls are killed before or after birth in many ways (female infanticide, dowry death, etc.). Such problems must be eliminated urgently to save the girls.
- Illiteracy is another problem that can be eliminated by an appropriate educational system for both sexes.
- Empowering women is the most effective tool for saving girls.
- People should be aware through effective campaigns about saving girls.
- A girl is dangerous both inside and outside the mother’s womb. She is afraid in many ways throughout life with men giving birth. It is ruled by men who give birth and it is really a matter of laughter and shame for us. Education is the best way to bring a revolution to save and respect a girl.
- A girl should have equal access and opportunities in all areas.
- There should be safety and protection provisions for girls in all public places.
- A girl’s family members can be better targeted to make the girls’ campaign successful.
The girl is not taken by people as a single subject, it is a social conscience that must be taken very seriously. People must save girls and respect girls because they have the power to create a whole world. They are also necessary for the growth and development of any country.